Waukegan, Illinois (October 2, 2023) – The Waukegan Park District is celebrating the Halloween season with programs and events throughout October. The spooky programming includes free and low-cost programs for children and adults.
The following Halloween-themed programs and events will be offered in October:
- We Have Off (W.H.O.) Program (Happy Fall Y’all) on Monday, October 9, 2023 from 7am to 6pm
- Arts Park Parent and Child Workshop on Saturday, October 14, 2023 from 12pm to 2pm
- Pumpkin Party on Tuesday, October 17, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm
- Youth Cookie Club (Halloween Cookies) on Tuesday, October 17, 2023 from 6pm to 7:15pm
- We Have Off (W.H.O.) Program (Spooktacular Halloween) on Friday, October 20, 2023 from 7am to 6pm
- GO WAUKEGAN Zombie Walk on Saturday, October 21, 2023 from 9am to 10am
- Spooky Toddler Cookies on Saturday, October 21, 2023 from 10:30am to 11:30am
- Poolside Pumpkin Patch Family Swim Night on Saturday, October 21, 2023 from 4pm to 6pm
- Family Zumba Night on Monday, October 23, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm
- Ooey Gooey Slime on Tuesday, October 24, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm
- Something Waukegan This Way Comes Tour on Tuesday, October 24, 2023 from 6pm to 7:30pm
- Parents’ Night Out on Friday, October 27, 2023 from 5:30pm to 9pm
- Haunted Waukegan Guided Walking Tour on Tuesday, October 31, 2023 from 6pm to 7:30pm
The celebration of the Halloween season will close with the 2023 Halloween Trick or Treat Trail on Saturday, October 28, 2023 from 1pm to 3pm at Bowen Park, located at 1800 N. Sheridan Road. The event will feature an enchanted trail with professionally costumed characters. Children will receive candy throughout the trail, while supplies last. The Halloween Trick or Treat Trail is free, and preregistration is not required to attend.
More information about the Waukegan Park District’s Halloween Happenings, including registration, is available at waukeganparks.org/halloween.
About the Waukegan Park District
Established on December 26, 1916, the Waukegan Park District (WPD) has 53 properties and more than 742 acres of land, including the 18-hole Bonnie Brook and 9-hole Greenshire Golf Courses. Properties are managed to the highest environmental and conservation standards. Facilities operated by the WPD include the Field House Sports, Fitness and Aquatics Center, Waukegan’s Greg Petry SportsPark, Waukegan Skate Park, BMX Track, SplashZone, Percussion Playground, recreational centers, disc golf course, dog exercise area and agility course, outdoor sports fields, picnic areas, playgrounds, splash pads, and sports courts including basketball, tennis and pickleball. A full range of programs and services are offered year-round for all ages, from infants to seniors, as well as special need populations. Healthy lifestyles, wellness initiatives, and a connection with the outdoors and nature are integrated throughout programs, services, and special events. Arts and cultural activities are provided by the Jack Benny Center for the Arts, Waukegan Symphony Orchestra and Concert Chorus, and the Waukegan History Museum. We offer something for everyone!
A member of the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD), Illinois Park and Recreation Association (IPRA), and the Park District Risk Management Agency (PDRMA), the WPD employs 73 full-time and 219 part-time, seasonal, and temporary employees and is recognized by the IPRA as an Exceptional Workplace.
Nationally accredited by the NRPA Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA) and State accredited through the IAPD Distinguished Agency Accreditation, the WPD has received the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Triple Crown Award for receiving the GFOA’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting, Popular Annual Financial Reporting Award, and the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award. The WPD was awarded the NRPA National Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management in 2013, and was named a Gold Medal Finalist in 2012, 2013, 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023.