Join the Volunteer Team!
The Waukegan Park District would not be as successful as it is today without the exceptional talents of our citizen volunteers. Our programs, facilities and committees serve the needs of our entire community. Our volunteers play a critical role in our exceptional service delivery. We offer many opportunities to get involved year-round, such as: youth sports coaching, park beautification, special events and program assistance, as well as advisory committee citizen representatives.
There are several volunteer opportunities for annual special events. For more information, please click on the event title to download the recruitment flyer (when available) or call Julie at (847) 360-4762.
- Listing of the 2020 Waukegan Park District Special Events and Volunteer Interest Form
- Volunteer Agreement Form
- Volunteer Requirements/Expectations
Youth Sports Coaches
Every coach plays a critical role in helping to define a child’s experience when learning to play a recreational sport. If you’re interested in making a positive impact on the life of a young athlete, this is the place for you. We are continuously seeking volunteer coaches for the following sports: flag football, basketball and t-ball.
- Contact: click to email, 847-782-3623
Park Volunteers & Partners In Parks Program
With 47 parks and facilities to maintain, we welcome the assistance from citizen volunteers and amateur or master gardeners to assist in the following projects: planting flowers and maintaining flower beds, cleaning up debris and leaves.
Volunteers or organizations interested in helping beautify or sponsor one of the district’s more than 47 parks can help by planting and maintaining flower beds, laying sod, cleaning up debris or by offering a host of other park-related assistance throughout the year.
- Contact: click to email, 847-360-4725
Special Events, Program Assistants and Special Recreation
Our seasonal, community-based events are an integral part of our service offerings. Without volunteer assistance, we would be unable to provide quality events that are either free or at a nominal rate. We welcome and greatly appreciate volunteer involvement with our special events, such as: Halloweenfest, Polar Bear Plunge, Eggstravaganza, Dandelion Wine Festival, American Independence Parade & Festival and the Fishing Derby, just to name a few. Volunteers can also help take our program activities from good to great, including our unique special recreation services for youth and adults with disabilities!
- Contact: click to email, 847-360-4706
Baby Boomers we are seeking your assistance. If you have the time and are looking to give back a little and share your valuable skills we invite you to participant in the Recreation Department’s Boomerang program. You may be able to contribute to the success of the Recreation Department by utilizing your knowledge and skills on a volunteer basis. Join our team as a skilled boomer by assisting in these areas: Finance, Research, and/or Project Management. Stop by today to complete a Boomerang interest form. For more information, call 847-360 4700.
Who is a Baby Boomer?
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, a Baby Boomer is a person who was born after World War II between the years 1946 and 1964.
Other areas where volunteer hours may be available:
- General Community Service Hours: (847) 360-4762
- Cultural Arts: (847) 360-4740
How can I get involved?
- Individual Volunteers: Individuals should fill out the Volunteer Agreement. Individuals under eighteen must have a parent or their legal guardian’s signature on the forms.
- Volunteer Organizations: Each volunteer must complete a Volunteer Agreement form (below). The group leader is responsible for collecting all properly signed Volunteer Agreements. Group leaders are responsible for sharing all information regarding the event/activity with everyone in their group.
- SPECIAL NOTE to Individual and groups: Please review the information under Volunteer Requirements/Expectations. More detailed information will come from the program area supervisor prior to service being performed.