- Fenced exercise areas for large and small dogs, off leash play
- Dog and human drinking fountain, waste disposal bags
Thank you for your interest in the Callahan-Franklin Dog Exercise Area at Larsen Nature Preserve. The Waukegan Park District recognizes the special relationship that people have with their dogs. The Callahan-Franklin Dog Exercise Area is a place that offers an an off-leash play area in a park setting. It provides a source of open space, fresh air and recreation for exercise and social interaction.
The Callahan-Franklin Dog Exercise Area located in the Larsen Nature Preserve at 1720 Western Avenue in Waukegan. Amenities include separate play areas for small and large dogs, parking, benches, picnic table, shade, fencing, waste containers and bags and a dog drinking fountain. This special park enables dogs to exercise and socialize safely. The dog park is a favorite “meet-up” spot for canine and human alike.
- Open from sunrise to sunset.
- Owners are responsible for controlling their dogs.
- Please close gate when entering or leaving site.
- Please leash pets outside exercise area.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Game animals
- Always clean up after your dog. We provide a Dogi-Pot bag dispenser and waste container for your
- Always keep your eyes on your dog. Mischief can happen quickly.
- Never leave your dog unattended.
- Make sure your dog is current on its shots and has a valid license.
- Dogs younger than four months won’t have all the necessary inoculations that allow them to play
safely with other animals, so please avoid bringing them to the dog exercise area.
- Avoid bringing a female dog in season. Spayed/neutered animals are recommended.
- Avoid bringing more than three dogs. It subjects the park to overuse, and if they’re not your dogs, you may not have full control over them.
- Keep your dog on-leash until you get to the off-leash area. This is not just respectful and safe to other park users, it’s also safer for your dog.
- If your dog becomes unruly or plays rough, leash it and leave immediately.
- If you must bring children to the park, supervise them closely.
- No smoking is allowed in any Waukegan parks including the dog exercise area.
- Avoid eating while at the exercise area. Food wrappers are tempting and bad treats for dogs.