The Waukegan Park District provides and abundant array of recreational opportunities and its 742 acres of parklands protect drinking water and important habitat for many endangered plants and even some endangered animals. Over the last 100 years, the District has acquired and preserved open spaces throughout the community. The benefits of preserving and protecting open spaces and natural areas in our watershed are well documented and extend to all residents living in Waukegan.
A Message from the Executive Director, Jay Lerner
As part of the Waukegan Park District’s Strategic Plan one of the major focus areas is Being Green. Some of the areas we are focusing on are:
- We have an extensive recycling program… everything from gym shoes to batteries to plastic bottles. We extract about 80% of waste from our general containers for recycling.
- We have the community involved in green initiatives. Our Community Recycling Days have sent tons of material for recycling, keeping it out of the landfill.
- Green programs are offered to the community and are becoming more and more popular for the entire family. These programs provide opportunities to spend time with family and friends outdoors.
- Nature’s Classroom at Bevier Center, The Urban Ag Lab at Bowen Park Greenhouse, and the Heritage Garden promote environmental awareness and education, with a focus on nature and gardening.
- Green designs have been incorporated into our projects. We have converted most of our lighting to fluorescent or LED, saving thousands of kilowatt hours and money.
- Our environmental policy, Carbon Management and Sustainability Plan and Strategy point us in the right direction for continued excellence in the future.
Sustainability is not only about going green to save the earth. Think about taking care of yourself and your family by participating in one of the programs, services, and activities we have that will benefit your well being! See you in the parks for some fresh air and fun! Please feel free to call the Parks Department at (847) 360-4725 if you have any questions.