Waukegan, Illinois (November 13, 2023) – The Waukegan Park District is celebrating the holiday season with several free and low-cost programs and events for children and adults. From performances to celebrations, the programming will create memorable experiences for families.
The following festive programs and events will be offered during the holiday season:
- GO WAUKEGAN Winter Wonder Walk on Saturday, December 2, 2023 from 4pm to 5pm
- Holiday Party Dance for Individuals with Disabilities on Friday, December 8, 2023 from 3pm to 7pm
- Cocoa & Paint on Friday, December 8, 2023 from 6pm to 7:30pm
- Holiday Tour of Homes on Saturday, December 9, 2023 from 3pm to 7pm
- Joseph A. Favero Memorial Do It Yourself Messiah & Carol Sing-Along on Saturday, December 9, 2023 from 7pm to 9pm
- We Have Off (W.H.O.) Program: Winter Wonderland on Monday, December 11, 2023 from 7am to 6pm
- Zumba Fitness Night & Toy Drive: Celebrating the Holidays on Monday, December 11, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm
- Parents’ Night Out on Friday, December 15, 2023 from 5:30pm to 9pm
- Bowen Park Theatre presents Miracle on 34th Street on Friday, December 15, 2023 and Saturday, December 16, 2023 from 7pm to 8pm and Sunday, December 17, 2023 from 3pm to 4pm
- Toddler Ornament Creations on Saturday, December 16, 2023 from 10:30am to 11:15am
- Holiday Spectacular on Saturday, December 16, 2023 from 1pm to 2:30pm
- Gingerbread House Building Competition Family Social on Saturday, December 16, 2023 from 2pm to 3pm
- Splashing in a Winter Wonderland Family Swim Night on Saturday, December 16, 2023 from 4pm to 6pm
- Youth Cookie Club: Holiday Cookies on Tuesday, December 19, 2023 from 6pm to 7:15pm
- I Can Bake: Holiday Baking on Thursday, December 21, 2023 from 10:30am to 12pm
- 25th Annual Waukegan Polar Bear Plunge on Monday, January 1, 2024 from 10am to 11am
Preregistration is required for some programs and events. More information, including registration, fees, and locations, is available at waukeganparks.org/holidays.
About the Waukegan Park District
Established on December 26, 1916, the Waukegan Park District (WPD) has 53 properties and more than 742 acres of land, including the 18-hole Bonnie Brook and 9-hole Greenshire Golf Courses. Properties are managed to the highest environmental and conservation standards. Facilities operated by the WPD include the Field House Sports, Fitness and Aquatics Center, Waukegan’s Greg Petry SportsPark, Waukegan Skate Park, BMX Track, SplashZone, Percussion Playground, recreational centers, disc golf course, dog exercise area and agility course, outdoor sports fields, picnic areas, playgrounds, splash pads, and sports courts including basketball, tennis and pickleball. A full range of programs and services are offered year-round for all ages, from infants to seniors, as well as special need populations. Healthy lifestyles, wellness initiatives, and a connection with the outdoors and nature are integrated throughout programs, services, and special events. Arts and cultural activities are provided by the Jack Benny Center for the Arts, Waukegan Symphony Orchestra and Concert Chorus, and the Waukegan History Museum. We offer something for everyone!
A member of the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD), Illinois Park and Recreation Association (IPRA), and the Park District Risk Management Agency (PDRMA), the WPD employs 73 full-time and 219 part-time, seasonal, and temporary employees and is recognized by the IPRA as an Exceptional Workplace.
Nationally accredited by the NRPA Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA) and State accredited through the IAPD Distinguished Agency Accreditation, the WPD has received the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Triple Crown Award for receiving the GFOA’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting, Popular Annual Financial Reporting Award, and the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award. The WPD was awarded the NRPA National Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management in 2013, and was named a Gold Medal Finalist in 2012, 2013, 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023.