Waukegan, Illinois (February 1, 2023) – The Waukegan Park District is celebrating Valentine’s Day with several programs and events in February. The programming includes free and low-cost programs for children and adults. Preregistration is required for some programs.
The following Valentine’s Day-themed programs and events will be offered:
- Be My Valentine: Gift Making on Friday, February 10, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm
The hands-on craft night is an opportunity for participants to create a special flower bouquet, card, and treat for their Valentine. Preregistration is required.
- SRSNLC Valentine’s Dance on Friday, February 10, 2023 from 6:30pm to 8:30pm This festive dance with the latest music is designed for teens and adults with disabilities. All attendees will receive refreshments, a keepsake photo, and a flower. Preregistration is required.
- Father-Daughter Date Night on Saturday, February 11, 2023 from 6:30pm to 9pm
The memorable event for fathers and their daughter(s) includes a catered buffet dinner from a local restaurant, music, dancing, and a surprise visit from a popular movie character. All daughters will receive a party favor and will have the opportunity to win prizes. Preregistration is required.
- Zumba Fitness Night on Monday, February 13, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm (Free) This family-friendly dance night will get participants moving with a fun, high-energy workout experience. Preregistration is not required.
- Arts Park Family Workshop on Monday, February 13, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm (Free) In celebration of Jack Benny’s birthday on Valentine’s Day, families will have the opportunity to create Jack Benny-themed Valentine’s Day cards to share with others. Preregistration is not required.
- Love is a Battlefield Laser Tag Party on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 from 5pm to 6:30pm The friendly laser tag competition is designed for teens and adults with disabilities. Attendees will enjoy snacks, fun games, and crafts. Preregistration is required.
- Parents’ Night Out on Friday, February 17, 2023 from 5:30pm to 9pm
Parents can enjoy a date night while their children participate in open play, watch a movie, and engage in Valentine’s Day-themed activities and crafts. Preregistration is required.
- Sweetheart Family Swim Night on Saturday, February 18, 2023 from 4pm to 6pm
The family swim night is an opportunity for families to enjoy a day at the indoor aquatics center. There will be space and time to make cards for special Valentines, enjoy snacks, and play water games with family and friends. Preregistration is not required.
More information, including registration and fees, is available at waukeganparks.org/valentines.
About the Waukegan Park District
Established on December 26, 1916, the Waukegan Park District (WPD) has 53 properties and more than 742 acres of land, including the 18-hole Bonnie Brook and 9-hole Greenshire Golf Courses. Properties are managed to the highest environmental and conservation standards. Facilities operated by the WPD include the Field House Sports, Fitness and Aquatics Center, Waukegan’s Greg Petry SportsPark, Waukegan Skate Park, BMX Track, SplashZone, Percussion Playground, recreational centers, disc golf course, dog exercise area and agility course, outdoor sports fields, picnic areas, playgrounds, splash pads, and sports courts including basketball, tennis and pickleball. A full range of programs and services are offered year-round for all ages, from infants to seniors, as well as special need populations. Healthy lifestyles, wellness initiatives, and a connection with the outdoors and nature are integrated throughout programs, services, and special events. Arts and cultural activities are provided by the Jack Benny Center for the Arts, Waukegan Symphony Orchestra and Concert Chorus, and the Waukegan History Museum. We offer something for everyone!
A member of the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD), Illinois Park and Recreation Association (IPRA), and the Park District Risk Management Agency (PDRMA), the WPD employs 73 full-time and 219 part-time, seasonal, and temporary employees and is recognized by the IPRA as an Exceptional Workplace.
Nationally accredited by the NRPA Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA) and State accredited through the IAPD Distinguished Agency Accreditation, the WPD has received the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Triple Crown Award for receiving the GFOA’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting, Popular Annual Financial Reporting Award, and the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award. The WPD was awarded the NRPA National Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management in 2013, and was named a Gold Medal Finalist in 2012, 2013, 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023.