Outdoor Facility Rentals

Park Use Permit Applications

Our mission is to provide facilities, parks and open spaces that are attractive and safe for the people of our community. The Park Use Agreement allows us to avoid overcrowding and accommodate groups for a pleasant, enjoyable park experience. Many of our parks have individual picnic tables available for use on a first-come, first served basis. To guarantee your picnic date and location, it is recommended that you make a reservation in advance. For more information, contact Lali Salinas at lsalinas@waukeganparks.org or (847) 360-4725.

A park use permit is required for:

  • any group of twenty-six (26) or more individuals.
  • events or gatherings with equipment brought into a park.
  • publicly advertised events or gatherings.
  • events or gatherings that will impact normal public use of a park.
  • any group renting a designated Green Space, Pavilion, Gazebo, or Bandshell.
  • any group of twenty-five (25) or less individuals who would like to reserve Green Space D or E for free.

Type of Spaces Available


Regardless of group size, a permit is required for exclusive use of a pavilion. A pavilion rental includes the use of the pavilion from 9am to sunset, picnic tables, grill, and trash barrels. Most have limited electricity. 

Green Spaces

Green spaces are for any group size of 26 or more who wish to gather in the park, but do not wish to rent a pavilion. Green Space permits may include use of a grill (charcoal not provided). Some sites are designated sites with a sign and post. 

Formal Garden

The formal garden space is ideal for ceremonies. Within the space there is a gazebo. We have only one Formal Garden available and it is located in Bowen Park. A formal garden rental only includes the use of the space.


This space was designed for performances, concerts and ceremonies. A bandshell rental only includes the use of the space.

For more details and photos, visit our Outdoor Facility Rental Options webpage.

Make a Reservation

Reservation requests for outdoor facilities will be accepted beginning at on Monday, March 1, 2022 at 9am. Reservations are granted on an application-review basis. Make your reservation one of three ways:

Reservations can now be made online! Click here.

Payments and applications can be mailed to the Belvidere Recreation Center (412 S. Lewis Avenue, Waukegan, Illinois 60085) or the Jack Benny Center for the Arts (39 Jack Benny Drive, Waukegan, Illinois 60087). Printable applications are available here. Make sure checks are payable to the Waukegan Park District.

The Belvidere Recreation Center, located at 412 S. Lewis Avenue, has walk-in hours on weekdays from 4pm to 8pm and Saturdays from 8am to 2pm. The Jack Benny Center for the Arts, located at 39 Jack Benny Drive, has walk-in hours on Mondays and Thursdays from 5pm to 8pm. Printable applications are available here.

Special Use Supporting Documents

There are several documents that will facilitate your special rental, event or permit. For example, please see the Third Party Contractor Agreement if you plan to have a bounce house, pony rides or any external vendor providing services at your event. There is an Approved Vendor List.  An example of a Certificate for Insurance is also provided for your convenience. Should you wish to rent picnic tables or sports equipment for your event, please complete the Equipment Use Agreement.

Other Rental Venues

For information regarding reservations for rooms at indoor facilities, please refer to the following webpage: Indoor Rentals.

To reserve an athletic field or sports court, please refer to the following webpage: Athletic Fields.