The Waukegan Park District invites local families, organizations, and businesses to celebrate American Independence Day with a virtual parade featuring mini “floats” made of recycled shoeboxes or other boxes. The 2021 Virtual American Independence Parade: Shoebox Edition will be presented on Facebook and YouTube on Sunday, June 27 at 1pm.
The commentary during the virtual parade will be provided by David Motley and Jane Ferry, who have emceed the Waukegan American Independence Parade for years. After the virtual parade, a mini “float” contest will be held on Facebook to recognize the most popular entries.
To participate in the virtual parade and be featured in the video, participants must decorate a mini “float” with a shoebox or other box, register, and drop off the submission at the Jack Benny Center for the Arts, located at 39 Jack Benny Drive in Bowen Park, by Friday, June 11 at 5pm. All local families, organization, and businesses are welcome to participate at no cost. Click here to register your mini “float”! For more information, contact Debra Carl at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 360-4740.
To participate, you need to do three things:
1. Decorate a mini “float” (shoebox).
2. Fill out the form available here. This form will close Friday, June 11 at 5pm.
3. Drop your float off at the Jack Benny Center for the Arts in Bowen Park (39 Jack Benny Drive, Waukegan, IL
60087) Monday, Tuesday or Thursday between 5-8pm. Final drop off no later than 5pm, June 11th.
1. The shoeboxes will be filmed as if they are traveling South on Sheridan road – entering on the left side of a screen and exiting on the right side.
2. Size range of box/float should be approximately 9Lx4Hx4W inches to 12Lx6Hx9W inches (this is about the size of a rectangle facial tissue box to a women’s size 11 or men’s size 9 shoe box). Smaller is fine, much larger is discouraged. You may construct your own box (cut another box to the right size).
3. Maximum height for your decorations is 12 inches from the floor.
4. The bottom of your box needs to be flat so we can pull it. If you want to put working wheels on it you may but
that is not required.
5. Your name and phone number need to be on the bottom of the box