U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek H. Murthy challenges people of all ages and stages of life to walk at least 30 minutes each day. Inspired by Murthy’s challenge, the Waukegan Park District has partnered with the Lake County Health Department on its county-wide initiative to improve the health of Lake County residents by enhancing and increasing the shared experience of walking.
WALK WITH US
The first stage of the GO WAUKEGAN movement is simple – encourage everyone in our community to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Take your daily walk in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice, by yourself or with a neighbor – the main purpose is to get moving!
BENEFITS OF WALKING
- Improves mood
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Improves balance and coordination
- Helps manage heart disease, high blood pressure and type two diabetes
- Improves sleep
- Slows mental decline associated with aging
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Anyone can get involved in GO WAUKEGAN simply by walking for 30 minutes a day! Here are a few ideas if you’d like to take it a step further:
- Invite your family, friends and neighbors to join you for regular walks in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice.
- Wear your GO WAUKEGAN t-shirt when you’re out walking and if anyone asks about the shirt, tell them about GO WAUKEGAN.
- Organize a weekly “Walking Wednesday” event and invite everyone in your neighborhood to walk together.
- Snap a selfie next time you’re walking and submit it to Josue Pasillas for a chance to be featured on the Waukegan Park District’s Facebook or Instagram page.
- Do you have other ideas to spread the word? Go for it! We need community support for this community health movement to be successful.
The Waukegan Park District will be hosting several GO WAUKEGAN walks in 2022. The outdoor walks are free events intended to encourage the community to walk at least thirty minutes every day. Each walk will have a unique theme, including a Glow Walk, Zombie Walk, and Winter Wonder Walk. The 2019 Glow Walk was awarded the Division II Outstanding Program or Special Event Award at the 2020 Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park and Recreation Association Soaring to New Heights Conference. Pre-registration is not required to participate in the walks. In case of inclement weather, walks will be postponed until a new date has been determined.
|Eggstravaganza Trail||Saturday, April 16, 2022||9am to 11am||Corrine J. Rose Park|
|Spring into Shape GO Walk!||Saturday, April 23, 2022||9am to 10am||Hinkston Park|
|GO Walk||Saturday, June 18, 2022||9am to 10am||Hinkston Park|
|Glow Walk||Wednesday, August 17, 2022||7pm to 8pm||Bevier Park|
|2022 George Bridges 5K Run/Walk||Saturday, September 10, 2022||9am to 11am||Hinkston Park|
|Zombie Walk||Saturday, October 22, 2022||9am to 10am||Hinkston Park|
|Turkey Trot||Saturday, November 12, 2022||10am to 11:30am||Bevier Park|
|Winter Wonder Walk*||Saturday, December 3, 2022||4pm to 5pm||Jack Benny Plaza|
*The walk on Saturday, December 3, 2022 will be held in conjunction with the City of Waukegan’s Tree Lighting Ceremony hosted by Waukegan Main Street. The date and time are subject to change.
If you’re interested in getting involved or have any questions, contact Quin Garbett at firstname.lastname@example.org.