GO WAUKEGAN is a community movement designed to increase community health through activity, education and collaboration.
Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek H. Murthy challenges people of all ages and stages of life to walk at least 30 minutes each day. Inspired by Murthy’s challenge, the Waukegan Park District has partnered with the Lake County Health Department on its county-wide initiative to improve the health of Lake County residents by enhancing and increasing the shared experience of walking.
WALK WITH US
The first stage of the GO WAUKEGAN movement is simple – encourage everyone in our community to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Take your daily walk in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice, by yourself or with a neighbor – the main purpose is to get moving!
BENEFITS OF WALKING
- Improves mood
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Strengthens bones and muscles
- Improves balance and coordination
- Helps manage heart disease, high blood pressure and type two diabetes
- Improves sleep
- Slows mental decline associated with aging
The next GO WAUKEGAN walking event will be on Saturday, December 1 at 4pm in Downtown Waukegan. The Waukegan Park District, Waukegan Main Street, and Genesee Street merchants invite you to the 2018 Winter Wonder Walk in Downtown Waukegan. Waukegan Main Street and Genesee Street merchants have several activities planned highlighted by the Waukegan Main Street Tree Lighting Ceremony!
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Anyone can get involved in GO WAUKEGAN simply by walking for 30 minutes a day! Here are a few ideas if you’d like to take it a step further:
- Invite your family, friends and neighbors to join you for regular walks in your neighborhood or at a park/trail of your choice.
- Wear your GO WAUKEGAN t-shirt when you’re out walking and if anyone asks about the shirt, tell them about GO WAUKEGAN.
- Organize a weekly “Walking Wednesday” event and invite everyone in your neighborhood to walk together.
- Snap a selfie next time you’re walking and submit it to Josue Pasillas for a chance to be featured on the Waukegan Park District’s Facebook or Instagram page.
- Do you have other ideas to spread the word? Go for it! We need community support for this community health movement to be successful.
TAKE THE SURVEY
If you’ve joined us for a GO WAUKEGAN Walk, please take a few minutes to complete the GO Lake County Survey to help the Lake County Health Department collect data on the walking program.
If you’re interested in getting involved or have any questions, please contact Shelby McDonald or 847-782-3628.