Waukegan Park District Celebrates the Holiday Season with Festive Programs and Events
Waukegan, Illinois (November 25, 2022) – The Waukegan Park District is celebrating the holiday season with several programs and events, many of which are free or low cost for children and adults.
The following festive programs and events will be offered during the holiday season:
- Christmas with the Clauses on Saturday, December 3, 2022 from 10:30am to 11:45am and from 1:30pm to 2:45pm
- Winter Wonder Walk on Saturday, December 3, 2022 from 4pm to 5pm (Free)
- Holiday Open House at the Haines House Museum in Bowen Park on Tuesday, December 6, 2022 from 5pm to 7pm (Free)
- Winter Snow Globe on Tuesday, December 6, 2022 from 6pm to 7pm
- Make It, Take It Times: Winter Vase on Friday, December 9, 2022 from 6pm to 7pm
- Joseph A. Favero Memorial “Do It Yourself” Messiah & Carol Sing-Along on Saturday, December 10, 2022 from 7pm to 9pm
- Toddler Ornament Creations on Tuesday, December 13, 2022 from 10:30am to 11:15am (Free)
- Parents’ Night Out on Friday, December 16, 2022 from 5:30pm to 9pm
- Decorative Wreath Making on Friday, December 16, 2022 from 6pm to 7pm
- It’s A Wonderful Life: A Radio Play on Friday, December 16, 2022 from 7pm to 9pm, Saturday, December 17, 2022 from 7pm to 9pm, and Sunday, December 18, 2022 from 3pm to 5pm
- Splashing in a Winter Wonderland Family Swim Night on Saturday, December 17, 2022 from 4pm to 6pm
- Zumba Fitness Night and Toy Drive: Celebrating the Holidays on Monday, December 19, 2022 from 6pm to 7pm (Free)
- 24th Annual Waukegan Polar Bear Plunge on Saturday, January 1, 2023 from 10am to 11am
In addition, the Waukegan Park District will be offering Holiday Adventures during the upcoming winter break at the Belvidere Recreation Center, located at 412 S. Lewis Avenue in Corrine J. Rose Park. Open to students from 6 to 12 years, the full-day enrichment programs will feature safe activities, crafts, games, and more. Preregistration is required for some programs and events. More information, including registration and fees, is available at waukeganparks.org/holidays.
About the Waukegan Park District
Established on December 26, 1916, the Waukegan Park District (WPD) has 53 properties and more than 742 acres of land, including the 18-hole Bonnie Brook and 9-hole Greenshire Golf Courses. Properties are managed to the highest environmental and conservation standards. Facilities operated by the WPD include the Field House Sports, Fitness and Aquatics Center, Waukegan’s Greg Petry SportsPark, Waukegan Skate Park, BMX Track, SplashZone, Percussion Playground, recreational centers, disc golf course, dog exercise area and agility course, outdoor sports fields, picnic areas, playgrounds, splash pads, and sports courts including basketball, tennis and pickleball. A full range of programs and services are offered year-round for all ages, from infants to seniors, as well as special need populations. Healthy lifestyles, wellness initiatives, and a connection with the outdoors and nature are integrated throughout programs, services, and special events. Arts and cultural activities are provided by the Jack Benny Center for the Arts, Waukegan Symphony Orchestra and Concert Chorus, and the Waukegan History Museum. We offer something for everyone!
A member of the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD), Illinois Park and Recreation Association (IPRA), and the Park District Risk Management Agency (PDRMA), the WPD employs 73 full-time and 219 part-time, seasonal, and temporary employees and is recognized by the IPRA as an Exceptional Workplace.
Nationally accredited by the NRPA Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA) and State accredited through the IAPD Distinguished Agency Accreditation, the WPD has received the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) Triple Crown Award for receiving the GFOA’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting, Popular Annual Financial Reporting Award, and the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award. The WPD was awarded the NRPA National Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Park and Recreation Management in 2013, and was named a Gold Medal Finalist in 2012, 2013, 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023.