Here’s a reason for freezin’! Join the brrave citizens of the Waukegan-area and plunge into Lake Michigan. Proceeds from the Waukegan Polar Bear Plunge go to the Special Recreation Services of Northern Lake County (SRSNLC), helping individuals with disabilities participate in camps, athletics, health and fitness programs, and much more. The 21st Annual Waukegan Polar Bear Plunge hosted by the Waukegan Park District and the City of Waukegan will be held on Friday, January 1, 2021 from 10am to 11am at the Waukegan Municipal Beach located at 201 Seahorse Drive in Waukegan.
- Advanced Registration: Plungers can register in advance for $15 at the Belvidere Recreation Center, Field House Sports, Fitness & Aquatics Center, Jack Benny Center for the Arts, or online. Advanced registration ends on Wednesday, December 30 at 4pm. A signed waiver must be submitted. Call (847) 360-4760 for more information.
- Day of Registration: Plungers will be able to register the day of the event for $20 at the Waukegan Municipal Beach. Registration will begin on Friday, January 1 at 9am. A signed waiver must be submitted.
- Any participant exhibiting signs of intoxication will not be permitted to participate. Staff has full discretion to make this determination at any time. No refunds will be given to participants deemed unfit to safely participate.
- Plungers MUST wear aqua socks or other shoes into the water.
- Leggings are recommended to help prevent cuts created by thin ice or ice chunks.
- Plungers are NOT allowed to go beyond the divers.
- All plungers MUST have a wristband to enter changing rooms and the water.
- Plungers MUST WAIT until they receive permission to run or enter the water.
- Spectators need to stay behind the orange snow fencing.