Here’s a reason for freezin’! Join the brrave citizens of the Waukegan-area and plunge into Lake Michigan. Proceeds from the Waukegan Polar Bear Plunge go to the Special Recreation Services of Northern Lake County (SRSNLC), helping individuals with disabilities participate in camps, athletics, health and fitness programs, and much more. The 20th Annual Waukegan Polar Bear Plunge hosted by the Waukegan Park District and the City of Waukegan will be held on Tuesday, January 1, 2019 from 10am to 11am at the Waukegan Municipal Beach located at 201 Seahorse Drive in Waukegan.
- Advanced Registration: Plungers can register in advance for $15 at the Belvidere Recreation Center, Field House Sports, Fitness & Aquatics Center, Jack Benny Center for the Arts, or online. Advanced registration ends on Friday, December 28 at 4pm. A signed waiver must be submitted. Download a printable waiver here. Call (847) 360-4760 for more information.
- Day of Registration: Plungers will be able to register the day of the event for $20 at the Waukegan Municipal Beach. Registration will begin on Tuesday, January 1 at 9am. A signed waiver must be submitted. Download a printable waiver here.
- Plungers must wear aqua socks or shoes. (Leggings are recommended to help prevent cuts created by ice.)
- Plungers are not allowed to go beyond staff in the water.
- Plungers must have a wristband to enter the changing rooms and the water.
- Spectators must stay behind the orange fence.