Free History Programs
from the Waukegan Historical Society and Waukegan Park District
Waukegan History Museum
For your organization, group, social event, or classroom.
- *Introduction to Studying & Learning About Local History
- Native American History of the Waukegan Area
- *French Explorers Marquette and Jolliet
- *The French Fur Trade
- *Early Settlers of Little Fort
- *The Growing Town of Little Fort
- Waukegan and the Underground Railroad
- Abraham Lincoln Goes to Waukegan
- The Civil War: The War Efforts in Waukegan
- *Waukegan’s Famous Civil War Drummer Boys
- *A Growing Waukegan
- The Making of Waukegan: Immigration and Industry
- *Haunted Waukegan
- Lake Michigan History and Local Shipwrecks
- Waukegan’s African American History
- Influential Women of Waukegan’s Past
- *Prominent Events and Visitors to Waukegan
- Waukegan and the Motion Picture Industry
- Ray Bradbury: Waukegan’s Influence on a Visionary
- Jack Benny: From Waukegan to Hollywood
- Jane Addams: Remembering Waukegan’s Bowen Country Club
- Play Ball: Baseball in Waukegan
- Lake County’s First Public Execution
- Titanic: A Fateful Ticket to Waukegan
- *History of the Waukegan Schools
- *A Day in the Life of a Student (corresponds with the year your school opened)
- *“What-Cha-Ma-Call-It” History Trunk (hands on program)
For school groups only *
(* all other programs are for both school and adult groups)
- Program length is 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Many programs are multimedia presentations with hands-on artifacts.
- Programs presented in the schools are based on Illinois Social Sciences Performance Standards.
- Programs can be given for multiple classrooms on the same day.
- Programs able to be scheduled to be given on a weekly basis.
- Presenter is the Supervisor of the Waukegan History Museum.
- 400 programs presented in the last 3 years reaching over 11,000 students and 1,000 adults.
- All programs have a connection to Waukegan and if you have a need for something and you don’t see it on the list, let us know and we’ll try to create it.
- The history of Waukegan is truly amazing and we look forward to sharing it with you!
Please call to schedule your free guided tour of the museum for your group.
For Educators and Youth Leaders
All programs are free!
- Guided Museum Tours (All Grades)
- Guided Bus Tours (All Grades)
- Classroom Presentations (All Grades)
- Library Research (All Grades)
- Research assistance of Chicago Metro History Fair (All Grades)
- The History of Waukegan, Illinois Teacher’s Guide (4th Grade)
- For more information please contact us at 847-360-4749 or 847-336-1859.
- For Location & Directions (Click Here)