and Afterschool Programs
Would you like to give your child the best summer of their life? Are you looking for quality before and after school programs? How about programs when school is not in session? In addition, we have programs like magic, cooking, or dance classes. Are you home schooled and looking to meet others for fun? If so, the Waukegan Park District is the place for you.
Because we know that recreational opportunities offer more than just physical activity, the Waukegan Park District offers a variety of youth, before/after school, off from school days, and day camps programs that use our facilities and parks as a teaching medium. Our programs have a tremendous influence on children and young people by teaching new skills, introducing them to critical environmental issues, promoting their emotional and physical development, increasing self-esteem by improving social skills and relationship building.
Come see for yourself and know that your child is in good hands and having fun!
Sibling discounts are available for Day Camp and After School Programs.
B.A.S.E. (Before and After School Experience) Ages K-5
The Waukegan Park District Before and After School Experience (B.A.S.E.) is for boys and girls from first through fifth grade. The Before School program is also available for morning Kindergarten students and the After School program is available for afternoon kindergarten students. Your child will participate in fun activities including games, arts and crafts, sports, nature activities and more! Homework assistance and snacks will be provided daily.
Before School Program (7am-9am)
- After School Program – Early Release (2:30pm-6:00pm)
- After School Program – Late Release (3:30pm-6:00pm)
School Day Off, Holiday & Spring Break Programs Ages 6-12
Take a break from school, but not from friends and fun! The day will consist of field trips, arts and crafts, games, sports, and more!
- We Have Off (W.H.O.)
- Holiday Adventures Winter Break
- Spring Break Adventures
Summer Day Camps:
Choose from six different camp opportunities. We offer camps for preschools to teens; half and full-day; and before and after extended care.
Click camp title for registration forms (links will be bold when available).
- Kaleidoscope Kids (5-10 years old)
- Belvidere Park Explorers Camp (6-11 years old)
- Bowen Park Rangers (5-11 years old)
- Let’s Move Sports & Fitness Camp (6-12 years old)
- Youth Leadership Camp formerly Teen Quest Camp (12-14 years old)
- Counselor -In-Training (15-17 years old)
Special Recreation Summer Camps
Please contact Special Recreation at (847) 360-4760 for camp information and registration.
- Campapalooza (ages 6-12 years old with a disability)
- Half Day Happenings (ages 5-10 years old with a disability)
- TNT Camp (ages 13-17 years old with a disability)
- Permission to Dispense Medication Form
- Medical Information Form
- Camp Parent Handbook – English
- Combined Scholarship Application Form
Youth Leadership Camp (formerly Teen Quest) for ages:
New this year, the Youth Leadership Camp provides teens with leadership skills, training, and experience. Participants will take field trips, learn about leadership and participate in volunteer opportunities and projects.
Wise Kids ®
Belvidere Park Explorers, Bowen Park Rangers, and Teen Quest camps will once again incorporate the Wise Kids® program to its curriculum. Wise Kids® is a fun, educational program that promotes nutritional awareness, increased physical activity, and reconnecting children to outdoors. Each week the Wise Kids® program will be implemented in three parts:
- Learn: A brief reading on the lesson’s topic (food pyramid, fruits and vegetables, recycling, geocaching, orienteering, etc.)
- Do: Quick, fun, hands-on projects (mazes, word finds, art projects) based on the topic
- Play: A minimum of 30 minutes of (often silly) physically active games and activities based on the topic
- Each camper will also receive a backpack, workbooks and other learning materials.
Wise Kids Scholarship The Waukegan Park District has been selected by the Sajai Foundation to receive a scholarship that will be used to educate children about how to live a healthier life. The park district will receive programming kits from the three programs the foundation offers: Wise Kids, Wise Kids Two, and Wise Kids Outdoors. For more information regarding these programs, please contact Mike Mayfield, 847-360-4710. Supported by NSG Energy.